Thursday, February 10, 2011

Getting Real

So, I want to breed finches, right? I want to eventually have a small but decent aviary, right? I want to be as professional as I can, right?

Right.

So lets get real then.

I've been treating my finches as pets instead of "breeding stock". And to a point, thats alright. I make sure they're well taken care of. They're spoiled with a great diet and lots of treats. I never cram my finches into space. They all have enough room..and I'm getting an aviary soon.

But...I'm running into a problem. Their names are Bullseye and Decoy. They're so aggressive that I can't possibly put them with anyone else or they'll attack the other birds mercilessly. I'm even afraid to put a female in with them for fear that she'd get the crap beat out of her. They're currently occupying a cage that I could be using to breed birds in...so really, they're just a dead weight.

And I hate to be like that. But theres a fine line between breeders and pets, and I've been unable to rehome them because I've been considering them "pets" and feel guilty about letting them go because "they don't work out". But anything that "doesn't work out" isn't helping my dream of eventually becoming an aviary, and I really can't afford the extra weight.

I have Native who is my pet and "extra weight", and I MIGHT think about breeding Target...only because he's so docile and enjoyable that I wouldn't mind breeding that into a future generation.

So...getting real. Its kind of hard, but Bullseye and Decoy will have to be sold. I have to finally put my foot down on myself and lay down the typical rules of any breeder. If they hinder the business, they have to go. I'm kind of attached to the guys so it's a hard decision to make, but I can't keep every bird that comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment