Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Maybe An Illness

I uncovered Mihah's cage the other day and discovered that she was fluffed out, her eyes were lazy, and her tail feathers were stained yellow. The most immediate thought to my brain was "She's sick".

So...I did what any normal bird lover would do. I got dressed and went to the store. I picked up a broad spectrum antibiotic from Petsmart and proceeded to make her a little hospital cage when I got home. The hospital cage is actually a really small hamster cage that I was going to sell on craigslist. Well....no one wanted it, so I kept it. Its a good thing, too! I put a clean piece of newspaper on the bottom, supplied the cage with a feeder and poured the antibiotics into the container for the water.

I also mixed some vitamin drops in with the food for some extra good stuff and added a perch.

I then transferred her to the cage. She seemed a little more active when I came back home, so maybe I was just over reacting. I'd rather be cautious though so into the hospital cage she went. She spent the next couple days in that cage with most of it covered to avoid stressing her out any. Today I lifted the blanket to check on her and she seemed bright and happy, so I put her back into her normal cage. The directions on the antibiotic says that if there are no results in 5 days, consult a doctor. She seems a lot better than when I found her the other day, so I'm assuming the antibiotics worked.

I'm keeping an eye on her just in case though.

No comments:

Post a Comment