Wednesday, February 2, 2011

In And Out

I've been watching my cutthroat pair since I've noted the eggs. JD seems to want to continue to build the nest, even though there are already eggs inside. I'm thinking this might be his first clutch ever since he seems almost clueless, but is eager enough to move on basic instinct. I can just hear him say "I THINK this goes here..." or "Reeds off the eggs to eat..maybe I should go sit?"

He's being such a good dad though. Right now he's sitting on the water dish, chirping softly every so often and on occasion, warbles. I saw him holding a piece of nesting material early and just waiting...then Reed came out to feed and he dove into the nest to place the material. Its like he wants to help, he just doesn't quite know how.

Reed is doing so well that I'd be surprised if this was her first clutch. She only really comes out to eat and today I don't think I've seen her at all except for maybe a few seconds this morning. She's been in the nest...and I can only assume that she's either ready to lay her third egg, or she's just being a very good mom and incubating the ones they have. JD sits outside the nest and sings to her, every once in a while he checks in to make sure everything is alright.

I really hope they raise these chicks up to thriving fledgelings. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but they're doing everything so well...its really hard not to. I'm making sure to keep an extra good eye on Reed just incase she has some egg binding issues. I have a cuttlebone in there, and I scrape cuttlebone ontop of their food to make sure they get it.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment